Tuesday, July 3, 2018


Regret Recycling
The next day we took Brat Boy to a college tour. We toured the school where I drank my way out of my Ph.D. program. As we walked across the urban campus, we passed places where I should have spent more time, and places where I wasted hour after hour. “My academic career -more libation than library,” I said to nobody in particular, shaking my head.

“At least I know what ‘libation’ means,” I added, thinking I had spoken too softly for anyone to hear.

“That’s nice,” Dr. Deb said, “but how about you quit talking to yourself in public.”

By the time the tour ended I felt deep pangs of regret. I couldn’t help but recall all the time, money, and opportunities I’d wasted.  The tour stopped and I stood next to a recycling bin. It made me think.
I had recycled my regret into reaction. Feeling so bad at the time I failed out of school had motivated me to stop drinking, go back and get a master’s degree, and reconnect with family.  It had changed my behavior. And it had served its purpose. Regretting the past now was a waste of time.

I said to myself, “Unless it motivates me, or changes my behavior, regret is wasted.”

“You really need to stop talking to yourself,” Dr. Deb said. 

Today I won’t waste any regrets I might have.

Burnout Training ©2018 by Ken Montrose

Burnout Training is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment