Wednesday, July 25, 2018

It’ the Little Things
The New Boss called me into his office to tell me the agency wanted to move the date of the burnout training again. “At some point we may have to tell them to take a hike,” he said. “Is the money worth the time and aggravation? Think about it, let me know what you decide.”

An hour later, I ran into Brittany in the break room. She’d brought in a box of donuts. On the box someone had written ‘What did the donut say to the donut hole? You complete me.’

“Isn’t that cute?” Brittany said, pointing to the writing.

“I got a better one,” I said. “What did the donut say to the donut hole?”

“I don’t know,” Brittany said. “What?”

“If I’m an ass, what does that make you?”

“Feeling a little bitter and angry this morning?” Brittany asked.

I was I realized. The anger had crept up on me while I was pretending not to be bothered. The agency was jerking me and The New Boss around.

“I’m letting little things get to me,” I said, shaking my head.

“Is it your new haircut?” she asked. “It will grow back. Believe me, we’ve all had bad haircuts. I think it’s cute a guy your age still cares how he looks.  Old guys should want to look nice in the years they have left.”

“You’re not helping.”

Today I won’t let the little things get to me.  

Burnout Training ©2018 by Ken Montrose

Burnout Training is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment