Monday, July 30, 2018

Today, Just Today
That afternoon the dark clouds of doubt rolled in.  What if I canceled the burnout training and another agency canceled on me? I’d have a big hole in my schedule, and what if I couldn’t find anyone else interested in trainings? That thought grew into a storm of what ifs. I heard the thunderous echo of past failures. My throat tightened, my stomach knotted. Lightning bursts of anxiety left me with a tingling sense of weakness in my muscles. What if?

When I was a kid, and into my early thirties, these storms would paralyze me with worry. It wasn’t until I’d been sober a few years that I learned to really apply the slogan ‘one day at a time.’  That slogan proved to be cliché, simplistic, and true. I needed to focus on that day and that day alone.
A wrote a schedule for the rest of the day and put away my appointment book.

Today, just today.

Burnout Training ©2018 by Ken Montrose

Burnout Training is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment