Monday, July 9, 2018


Rigorous Honest
When I went to lunch that day, I saw Brittany’s boyfriend, the one she’d just taken back, kiss a girl in the Dairy Queen parking lot. They were sitting on the hood of his car, eating sundaes.

I pulled up next to him and said,  “Call Brittany, she’s running a little LATE,”I bobbed my head as if I was trying to get him to think about what I’d just said. “But she’s ITCHING to see you.”

I hoped the girl would realize Frozen Snake Boy had a girlfriend, and think he had gotten her pregnant, giving her a sexually transmitted infection in the bargain.  The last two parts weren’t true, but it wasn’t really my fault if she assumed they were.

As I drove away, she looked stunned, and he flipped me off.  I smiled.

In recovery they teach you to practice rigorous honesty. If you start telling little lies to other people you might start lying to yourself about big things, like why you’re having lunch in a bar.   Leading that girl to believe Brittany might be pregnant and infected wasn’t completely honest.  On the other hand, sticking it to Frozen Snake Boy had been hard to resist.

“Have to try a little harder,” I said to myself.  “Rigorous honesty ain’t always easy.”

Today I will try to practice rigorous honesty.

Burnout Training ©2018 by Ken Montrose
Burnout Training is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment