Friday, July 20, 2018

Rightness Delayed is Rightness Reduced
The next day a basset hound wandered the halls at work.
 
“You got a new dog already?” I asked Daniel, a little surprised he’d replaced Boo so soon.

“You ever heard the expression ‘justice delayed is justice denied’?” Daniel asked me.

I thought of an example. “If a murderer isn’t caught for thirty years, that’s three decades he should have spent in jail. Even if justice wasn’t denied, it was diminished. Not sure how that applies to getting a new dog.”

“Right.  In the same way, if you put off doing the right thing, you’ve cut down on the time that right thing will be in effect.  I miss Boo, but I’m not gonna let another old dog sit in the pound while I get my act together. Rightness delayed is rightness reduced.”

I smiled, “I like that expression, rightness delayed is rightness reduced.  There’s an AA expression ‘do the next right thing.’ Makes me think the saying should be ‘do the next right thing now.’”

Today I will do the next right thing as soon as possible.

Burnout Training ©2018 by Ken Montrose

Burnout Training is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment