Friday, July 6, 2018


Spoiled
The New Boss showed me a picture of the trout he’d caught the night before from the stream in front of his A-frame camp. Again, I thought his camp cost more than my house, and my car, and my wife’s car combined. The twinge of jealousy grew until I thought about what I’d just been thinking.

I had a house. I had a car. My wife had a car.

Over the years I’d gotten spoiled. Growing up, very few kids in my neighborhood had their own cars, including me. We had family cars. If our chores weren’t done, or our grades sucked, or our parents were doing something, we didn’t drive.

Even kids who owned a car weren’t always lucky. My friend Greg bought a car with his own money. That car taught him more about auto repair than he ever wanted to know. Eventually he traded it, but I know he had fantasies of setting it on fire and pushing it over a cliff.

As an adult, I had a reliable car parked in a garage, in a nice house.  When my car didn’t work, I paid someone to fix it.  I drove that car whenever I wanted. Unlike many of my AA friends, I’d never lost my license, although I should have.
 
Today I will take stock: have I become spoiled?

Burnout Training ©2018 by Ken Montrose

Burnout Training is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment