Monday, July 8, 2019


I Used To Be Like That
That Monday was my first day back after the long holiday weekend.  I wanted to spend much of the day planning for the rest of the year.  The night before I had made a spread sheet with five areas I needed to cover.

One of those areas was our home-study courses. We provided continuing education  social workers and addiction counselors used to maintain their licenses and certifications.

Over the weekend everybody and his brother had faxed, mailed, or emailed their home-study tests to me.  Every other one had a note attached saying ‘Sorry I waited until the last minute, but I need this by yesterday.’ 

I weighed my options, starting with faking my own death. Could I pretend I didn’t see the stack of paper on the copier clearly marked ‘Ken’, or the envelopes in my mailbox, or even the messages on my computer?  At least ten other things I could be doing instead of correcting tests popped into my head. 

Or, I could remind myself that I’d struggled with procrastination all through school.  People had helped me out on more than one occasion.  I separated the tests that needed immediate attention from the ones that could wait a day and got to work.

Today I may have to be a little understanding of people who share my faults.

Dogged Determination ©2018 & 2019 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment