Tuesday, April 6, 2021


 Fawlty Showers


Old

Brat Boy dropped in that night. “Bad movie night?” he asked. We liked to make fun of bad movies, something we’d started when he was in his teens, but hadn’t done in years while he’d been at school.


“Love to,” I said, thinking some things never get old. Over the years, appreciating these things had made drinking less attractive.   


Waking up not only knowing where I was, but where my car was as well. Clean clothes, breakfast when I wasn’t hungover, being reliable at work. 


Not having to apologize for loudly guessing, at their reception, how long someone’s marriage would last, or telling someone not all babies are cute, and theirs will likely ‘grow out of it.’


Time with my family. Time with my friends. Time alone fishing, writing, riding my bike.


“Appreciating what you have, what never gets old, is a big part of staying sober,” I said.


“Snakes in the Hood III?” Brat Boy asked.

 


Today I’ll be grateful for things that never get old.

 


Fawlty Showers is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

·         www.greenbriartraining.com 

·         https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

·         https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/


No comments:

Post a Comment