Thursday, April 15, 2021


 Fawlty Showers


Hammered

On the way home I heard Simon and Garfunkel, “I’d rather be the hammer than the nail,”


The nail is powerless, I thought. It gets hammered. The hammer acts, the nail is acted upon. 


If people get hammered often enough, powerlessness increases, life acts upon them.  His wife leaves him. She loses custody. He can’t get into the military. A convicted felon, she can’t find a job.


The hammer isn’t always a chemical. She’s getting hammered by debt collectors because she keeps ordering online. The virus he caught sleeping around is hammering his immune system. 


I thought of all the losses I’d suffered getting hammered, allowing myself to be the nail.

 

Today I won’t get hammered.

 

Fawlty Showers is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

·         www.greenbriartraining.com 

·         https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

·         https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/


No comments:

Post a Comment