Tuesday, October 19, 2021

 

Fawlty Showers 2

Audience

On my way out I stopped to talk to a client court-ordered to treatment. He’d had three DUIs.  Even after his third DUI, his family did not support him getting sober.  They mocked him for trying.


His parents were big drinkers. He’d been the only kid who’d brought his lunch to school in a velvet Crown Royal bag. His sister Connie’s nickname in high school had been ‘Connabis’.


“I knew a guy whose in-laws found fault with everything he did,” I said. “Just couldn’t please them.”


“What did he do?” the young man asked.


“He stopped trying.  Made his wife and children his sole audience. Now his grown kids love him.  He’s been happily married for 30 years.”


He looked sad, but he smiled.


I added, “Right now the judge is your audience. If you believe in God, your Higher Power is your audience. You are your audience.”


“I can choose to play to the audience that wants to see me succeed,” he said. “I think I get it.”

 

Today I’ll choose my audience.

 

Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

  •  www.greenbriartraining.com 
  • https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

No comments:

Post a Comment