Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Fawlty Showers 2

Muscle Amnesia

Muscle memory is doing the same thing over and over until your muscles react automatically. 


I experienced muscle amnesia as I picked up a basketball for the first time in years. I stepped just inside the three point line and shot with what I thought was perfect form.


Nothing but net. The ball didn’t go through the hoop, it just grazed the outside of the net, near the bottom, as the shot fell short.


If there was muscle memory, and apparently muscle amnesia, could there also be spiritual memory and spiritual amnesia I wondered? People forgetting what they believed as they stopped practicing those beliefs?


I’d seen recovery memory give way to recovery amnesia. People with years of sobriety relapsing because they’d stop practicing what got them sober.


Sadly, I’d seen relationship amnesia too many times. Couples drifting apart as they stopped doing whatever had brought them together.


I stepped closer to the hoop, and clanged a shot off the rim.


 

Today I will beware of amnesia of any sort.

 


Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

 

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

•             www.greenbriartraining.com 

•             https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S 

No comments:

Post a Comment