Monday, October 11, 2021

Fawlty Showers 2


Easy Does It

Then I did what I always did when I knew I needed to shed a few pounds. I made ridiculous plans in my head. I’d get up at 4:30 and pedal for an hour before work.  I’d go on an ice-cube and air diet. I’d visit my in-laws in New Jersey, and jog home to Pittsburgh.


Or I could get back on a sensible diet, exercise a little more, eat a little less, and slowly get back to a healthier weight. “Easy does it,” I said to myself.


People new to recovery are told “Easy Does It.” One meaning of the slogan is ‘don’t take on new responsibilities until you’ve been sober awhile.’ Don’t start a business, go back to school, or take out a mortgage until you’ve settled into recovery.


Another meaning, one that applies to more than just sobriety, is don’t get frustrated by the pace of change. Don’t expect someone to forgive your decades of neglect in ten days.  Your mind and body won’t heal overnight. 


I packed myself a single sandwich for lunch. When I got to work, I put my hidden boxes of cookies in the group room for everyone to eat.


Today I’ll remember ‘Easy Does It.’

 

Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at

  • www.greenbriartraining.com 
  • https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

 

No comments:

Post a Comment