Wednesday, October 13, 2021


Fawlty Showers 2


Childish/Childlike

After the meeting I heard an argument from the group room.  Two grown men were yelling at each other over a chair.


I looked around the room. There were ten people and fifteen chairs.


“Could you two be any more childish?” I asked. They began arguing through me, starting with “He sat in my chair,” and “He thinks he’s the boss of me.”


At first I thought they were acting like little kids. Then I remembered the girls next door laughing in delight as they raced down the steep hill in my backyard.


Mostly to myself, I said, “Childish is fighting over stupid things. Childlike is finding the joy in little things.”


They stared at me. “What the #$%@& are you talking about?” one snarled.   


‘Play time is over,’ I thought.


I pointed to the first guy, “You’re on probation. If you get kicked out, you go to jail.” The other guy snickered. “You need a letter from us to get back to work.”


I pointed to chairs on opposite ends of the room. They sat down. I walked back to my office, taking a childlike delight in the quiet.


Today I’ll try to be more childlike than childish.

  

Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

  •  www.greenbriartraining.com 
  • https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

No comments:

Post a Comment