Thursday, October 7, 2021

Fawlty Showers 2


Choices

I had no doubt The Dope had his faults, but I wondered if Dana’s loathing of the kid had taken on a life of its own.  Hating him seemed to be her favorite pastime.


“She spends a lot of time with him,” I said, choosing my words carefully. “He must have some good qualities.”


“What can I tell you?” Dana asked, her face a mask of fury. “The idiot makes her happy.” She shot me a look that made my bowels clench.


I eyed my escape route. I could toss her DD. She’d have to catch the bunny. I could run out the door.  What if she just swatted him to the ground? I put the ‘throw the rabbit and run’ option on hold.  


I let Dana cool down for a moment.


I said, “You know we don’t get anybody sober here. We help people choose to get sober, but the choice is always theirs. We can’t get upset every time someone relapses.”


“And my daughter is free to choose a human dishrag for a boyfriend. I get it. Choices.”


“We don’t have to like people’s choices, but ranting and raving over our powerlessness to change them only adds to the misery.”


After Dana left I told DD I never really considered tossing him to Dana. His ears twitched. He wasn’t buying it.

 

Today I’ll remember I’m powerless over people’s choices.

 

Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

 

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

  • www.greenbriartraining.com 
  • https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

No comments:

Post a Comment