Monday, September 12, 2016

36. Whaddya Say?

The Other Ken had arranged for a young woman in recovery to speak to the group. 

“I thought I had a boyfriend,” she said. “He was building a business empire.  He claimed he sold weed and cocaine to raise cash, and he’d stop when his company took off. I wanted to help, so I sold a little too.  It was OK because we were in love.”

“Truth was he had five girls he used for sex and hauling drugs around.  I didn’t know until I met them at the trial. Turns out dealers do this all the time.”

“My conscience had told me something was wrong with him.  I didn’t listen. I liked the sex and the free drugs. We were going to be legit and rich.  I didn’t listen because I thought I was better than the people who paid for drugs. Not my problem if they poisoned themselves.”

“Now I listen to my conscience, my probation officer, my sponsor, and my pastor.  I start with my conscience.”

Today I will listen, starting with my conscience.


Life on Life's Terms III (c) 2016 by Ken Montrose


Life on Life's Terms III is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

No comments:

Post a Comment