Thursday, September 15, 2016

39. Knowing When To Quit
When I got home that night Brat Boy was already at his new girlfriend’s house. I smiled and asked my wife if there was anything like a new romance.

“What about old loves?” she asked as she settled in next to me on the couch.

“Old loves are like my favorite pair of wool socks.  They’re familiar, comfortable, and they warm me.  I never want to be without them.”

My wife said ‘aww.’ I should have stopped then.

Instead, I added, “Sure they’re old and a little clingy, and maybe they look worn and saggy, but I still love them just the same.”  No ‘aww’ followed.  I thought it ironic I spent my days trying to help people quit, but didn’t know to quit when I was ahead.

Today I hope I’ll know when to quit.

Life on Life's Terms III (c) 2016 by Ken Montrose

Life on Life's Terms III is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


No comments:

Post a Comment