Thursday, September 8, 2016

34. An Unreasonable Cat
My phone rang.  When I answered, a woman’s voice said, “You’re with the rehab, you talk to him!” Then she yelled repeatedly for someone named Keith to pick up the damn phone.  He yelled something back, slurring his words.  “He’s drunk,” she said, “hold on and I’ll get him to talk to you.”  I told there was little point in trying to reason with him.  Before I could tell her about getting him into treatment, she hung up.

A few days earlier I had tried to convince our cat to concentrate on the moles in our yard.  I had pointed out getting the neighbor’s moles was a nice gesture on his part, but not necessary.   As I was talking to the cat, I noticed my other neighbor sitting on his deck, probably wondering why I was reasoning with a cat.

It occurred to me that reasoning with an intoxicated person or a cat might yield the same result – frustration.  Neither was really capable of being reasonable.

Today I will not reason with the unreasonable.


Life on Life's Terms III (c) 2016 by Ken Montrose

Life on Life's Terms III is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


No comments:

Post a Comment