Tuesday, September 6, 2016

32. From Pain to Empathy
A week later I sat next to Street Sign at an AA meeting.  He asked me if I knew anything about a place on the internet where people raise money.  I asked him if he meant Go Fund Me.

“That’s it,” he said.  “Can you show me how to get to it?  I read about this guy on disability who lost his wife and daughter to a fire.  He’s in a financial mess, and he’s trying to raise money for headstones.  My heart just breaks for him.”

Street Sign, who also got by on disability payments, knew too well this man’s pain, having suffered himself.  I admired how he’d turned that pain to empathy, and put it to good use. 

  
Today I will try to be grateful for whatever empathy I’ve learned through pain.


Life on Life's Terms III (c) 2016 by Ken Montrose

Life on Life's Terms III is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


No comments:

Post a Comment