Sunday, September 25, 2016

45. Support From Your Local Sheriff
A sheriff’s car pulled up and Howard walked over.  Felix said, “Uh Oh,” and all other conversation stopped.  We couldn’t hear them, but the deputy seemed to be doing most of the talking.

“This isn’t good,” Roy said. “Wonder what Howard did?”

Howard waived as the deputy pulled away.  He walked back to us and said, “My dad was the sheriff when that deputy first started. He wanted me to know the old man would have been proud I’m getting sober. Gave me his brother’s card. The brother is a recovering coke addict and an attorney.”  He looked at the card, then back at us.  “Sure didn’t expect that kinda support from the department.  Gotta say I’m mighty grateful.”

Today I will be grateful for whatever support I get, especially support I didn’t expect.

Life on Life's Terms III (c) 2016 by Ken Montrose

Life on Life's Terms III is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


No comments:

Post a Comment