Wednesday, September 28, 2016

48. Snap, Crackle, Pop
That night I fell asleep in my chair.  Brat Boy woke me up to say goodnight. As I got up, my ankle and both my knees made crackling sounds. I tugged on my arm and my shoulder popped.

“Dad, you sound like a bowl of Rice Krispies when you pour on the milk,” Brat Boy said, sounding alarmed.

“Just my body reminding me I’m aging, time is passing, and I should enjoy the moment,” I said.

“If you say you’re grateful for that, I’ll kick you.”

I laughed. “Grateful might be too strong a word.  I think of it as nature’s alarm clock, telling me it’s time to get up and make the most of the day.”

“It’s nighttime, Dad,” he said, rolling his eyes.  “Love you anyway you confused, old man.”

Today, aware that time is passing, I will try to enjoy every moment.


Life on Life's Terms III (c) 2016 by Ken Montrose

Life on Life's Terms III is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


No comments:

Post a Comment