Wednesday, September 7, 2016

33. Difficult Decisions
The next day Margaret stuck her head in my office.  After a long pause she said, “They want me to have another surgery.  New procedure.  They think it’ll take away most of the pain.”  She paused again.  “My husband cried last night.  He never does that.”

“Why did he cry?” I asked.

“He loves having the old me back, the way I was before I got addicted.  He hates that I’m in pain, but he’s afraid I’ll get addicted again if I have the surgery.”

“At least you’ll be able to make the decision with a clear head,” I said.

“I’m just so afraid of losing that clear head to the painkillers again.”

Today I’ll be grateful I can make difficult decisions with a clear head.


Life on Life's Terms III (c) 2016 by Ken Montrose

Life on Life's Terms III is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


No comments:

Post a Comment