Tuesday, September 13, 2016

37.  Permission to Blame You

Howard poked his head into my office after group.  He asked me if he could go to a wedding.

“You don’t need my permission,” I said.  “I’m not even you’re therapist.”

He said, “True, but I think I should get it anyway.  I am new to sobriety, and you’re the oldest recovering guy I know.”

I shook my head, wondered if he meant my time in recovery or my age, and said, “I really think you’re asking my permission to dodge responsibility. If things go wrong, you’ll say staff gave you bad advice.”

“Maybe,” Howard said, a puzzled look on his face.

Today I won’t ask for permission to dodge my responsibilities.



Life on Life's Terms III (c) 2016 by Ken Montrose

Life on Life's Terms III is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


No comments:

Post a Comment