Sunday, January 1, 2017

11. If you really know what you’re doing there are things you don’t do.
“It wasn’t my sister that got me into treatment,” Gerry said after a pause in the conversation.  “I confronted my friend about a needle I found in his bathroom.  He joked about it not being for knitting.  Told me not to worry, he knew what he was doing.  I was snorting Adderall and drinking every day, convinced I knew what I was doing.  A week later he overdosed.  His little girl found him.”

“So clearly he didn’t know what he was doing, and maybe you thought you didn’t either?” I asked.

“My grandfather used to say, ‘If you really know what you’re doing there are things you don’t do.’ He was talking about drinking and flying, but other stuff too.”

Today I will remember people who know what they’re doing don’t do certain things.

Needles Not For Knitting (c) 2016 by Ken Montrose

Needles Not For Knitting is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


No comments:

Post a Comment