Monday, January 9, 2017

17. Lifting Spirits
“I owe my sister an apology,” Gerry said.  “She knew early on that our parents were messed up.  I was always on their side when they made fun of her for saying so.”

“Did you know something was wrong?” I asked.

“Like I said, not until my teens.  But after I knew, I kept agreeing with my folks, pretending my sister was wrong.  It was just easier. I know sometimes she questioned her own sanity, wondering if they were right, they were normal and she was off. I let her down.”

“You were a kid.  Hey, an apology from you now might just lift her spirits.”

Gerry smiled. “God, I’d be grateful if it did.”

Today I’ll be grateful if I can lift someone’s spirits, especially someone I’ve let down.


Needles Not For Knitting is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


No comments:

Post a Comment