Tuesday, January 31, 2017

32. Training Bro
As I looked around the room, I saw a lot of familiar faces -- corrections and probation officers from a nearby county, addiction counselors, case managers, school social workers, and nurses – people who’d been attending my trainings for years.

We took a break halfway through the training and exchanged how-my-urine-got-dirty stories.  I heard some old favorites:  ‘There must have been weed in the church bake sale brownies,’  ‘I was reaching for an Advil and grabbed a Xanax by mistake,’ ‘I hid a baggie of my kid’s urine in my underwear, not to beat your test, but to see if he was getting high,’ and my new favorite, ‘My roommate made coffee out of bong water without telling me.’

I didn’t see them enough to call them close friends, but they were my favorite acquaintances.

Today I will be grateful for my favorite acquaintances.

Needles Not For Knitting is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Needles Not For Knitting (c) 2017 by Ken Montrose


No comments:

Post a Comment