Wednesday, January 25, 2017

28. Stepping Out
“What do you think about my story?” Gerry asked.

“I like it.  You should polish it and look for an illustrator.  Publish an eBook through Amazon and maybe send it to a traditional publisher.”

Gerry hesitated before saying, “I couldn’t do that.  I’d feel funny.  What if people hated it?  I could take rejection from a publisher. Only I would ever know. But if I put it on Amazon and nobody bought it, I’d be really embarrassed.”

“So you want to publish, but you’re hesitating because you’re afraid of embarrassment? Listen, I hesitated publishing a novel for the same reasons.  Now it’s on Amazon and gets outsold 1,000 to 1 by books about shape-shifting alpha male billionaires into bondage. Titles like ‘Fifty Shades of Gray Wolf.’ So what? I stepped outside my comfort zone and that felt brave.  Every now and then I sell a copy, and that feels great.  So much of life is outside our comfort zones.”


Today I will step out of my comfort zone.


Needles Not For Knitting is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Needles Not For Knitting (c) 2017 by Ken Montrose


No comments:

Post a Comment