Monday, January 16, 2017

21. Deteriorating Orbit
 The next night I felt well enough to go to an AA meeting. 
“Do you know what a deteriorating orbit is?” My friend Marti asked me.  She was a science teacher in her early forties, two years sober, and getting out of her marriage.
“Isn’t that when something going around and around something bigger eventually falls into that larger something?”
She nodded.  “I think I’ve finally escaped my husband’s orbit,” she said.  “He’s this big ball of fire people love until they really get to know him. By that time, he’s pulled them into orbit around him.  They’re in business with him, or they’ve bought a boat together. They’ve had a couple kids with him.”
“How’d you do it?” I asked
“Distance.  I’ve kept my distance. The further I am from that man, the less pull he has on me. I think it’s the same with booze.  The further away I stay, less pull toward it I feel. ”


Today I will put distance is the key to avoiding a deteriorating orbit.
               

Needles Not For Knitting is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Needles Not For Knitting (c) 2017 by Ken Montrose


No comments:

Post a Comment