Sunday, January 8, 2017

16. Who Needs Santa?
The next day Gerry stopped by my office again.  He’d been thinking about his relapses.

He said, “When we were little Christmas was wonderful.  It wasn’t until I was a teenager that I knew my dad was usually blind drunk by the afternoon.  Same with my mom.  It took all the shine off the holiday.   After Christmas, I never wanted to put away the decorations.  I kept waiting for the Christmas magic.”  

I asked, “Staying clean is like putting the decorations away?”

“I kept hoping the next run would be magical.  Time to put the decorations away,” he said with a heavy sigh.

I laughed, “Time to stop believing in Santerall, time to learn life can be magical without Adderall.”

“Santa.  Adderall.  Santerall.  You need help, Ken.”

Today I’ll find the magic in life.

Needles Not For Knitting is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


No comments:

Post a Comment