Tuesday, January 24, 2017

27.  How Bats Went Blind and Bunnies Got Big Feet: Part 3
As Hawk held Rabbit’s ears in his talons, the weight of Rabbit’s grape-filled belly stretched his ears and body.  Bat flew behind Rabbit and grabbed him by his tail.  Rabbit’s tail broke off.  Hawk lost his grip and dropped Rabbit, pulling up just in time to miss the barn.

Bat wasn’t so lucky.  He crashed headfirst into the building, knocking himself out.  He woke up lying next to Rabbit, beside the barn.  Rabbit was crying.  “Look at my tail!  Look at my ears!  The fall flattened my feet! I’ll never climb a vine again.  I’ll have to hop around eating grass!  It’s not fair, I just wanted a grape!”

Bat tried to look at Rabbit, but crashing into the barn had almost blinded him.  He could see just past the end of his nose.  He started to say something to Rabbit, shook his head, and shuffled down the path toward his home. With a tear in his eye, Rabbit asked him, “Where are you going? Why are you walking?”

“I can’t fly in the day,” Bat said. “I wouldn’t see Hawk and his friends hunting me.  I’ll have to fly at night and hide in the caves until dark.” He shook his head a second time, and walked away.  Rabbit never saw his best friend again.

Today I will remember a single mistake can have lifelong consequences, for me, and for others.

Needles Not For Knitting is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Needles Not For Knitting (c) 2017 by Ken Montrose


No comments:

Post a Comment