Thursday, January 12, 2017

20. Dispensing with my Indispensability
Later that night tiny rivers began flowing from my swollen eyes. I coughed, and coughed again.  I asked the cat, “Any advice on getting rid of this steel wool furball caught in my throat?” He may have answered, but my ears were too clogged to hear.  Blowing my nose hurt, but distracted me from my throbbing temples.

And yet, I was determined to go to work the next day.  They needed me.  Wasn’t I the Golden Nectar Collector who collected so many urine samples?  Wasn’t I The Director of Training AND Publications?   Clearly I was indispensable.

The next day I woke up late, and called the office to say I wasn’t coming in.

“Oh, I thought you were here,” Miss Rella said.  They hadn’t missed me at all.  I wondered how many times I had pushed myself believing I was indispensable, when I really needed to take care of myself instead.


Today I will dispense with my indispensability myth.  

Needles Not For Knitting is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Needles Not For Knitting (c) 2017 by Ken Montrose


No comments:

Post a Comment