Tuesday, January 10, 2017

18. Hot and Cold
At the end of the day I went to the gym.  Replacing my underwear with my first item of gym wear reminded me, in the most personal way, that leaving my gym bag in a freezing car was a bad idea. 

When I got home, I made chicken nuggets in the microwave.  The timer went off.  I popped one in my mouth and remembered: steaming food straight from the oven or microwave burns.   

“When will you learn?” I asked myself out loud.  I thought about the lessons I had learned in time, and all the people I knew who suffered because they hadn’t. People in jail, people married to idiots, and people infected, maimed, or even dying.  People who had died.  I drank a cold glass of milk, feeling grateful.

Today I’ll be grateful if I’m not hurt too badly by lessons I learn slowly.


Needles Not For Knitting is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


No comments:

Post a Comment