Thursday, January 19, 2017

24. Not Waiting for a Unanimous Verdict.
“I want to write children’s books,” Gerry said, looking over my shoulder, out the window.  “My sister thinks it’s a great idea.  My mom laughed. My dad said there’s no money in it.”

I said, “When I got sober, most people were supportive.  A few said I was overreacting to totaling my car.  A couple said I’d never make it. I got sober anyway.”

“What’s your point?”

“If I waited for everyone’s approval, if I only did what everyone thought I could do, I’d still be drunk. Life is not a death penalty jury – you don’t need unanimous agreement. Consider your options, do what you think is best, and accept some people aren’t going to like your choices.”

“Easier said than done,” Gerry said, shaking his head.

“Most things are, but do it anyway.”

Today I won’t wait for unanimous approval.

Needles Not For Knitting is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Needles Not For Knitting (c) 2017 by Ken Montrose


No comments:

Post a Comment