Sunday, May 14, 2017

34. Wonderfully Worn Out
“You’re limping,” Jameston said. “What happened?”
“Years of basketball and a torn meniscus,” I said. “Then a few more years of basketball.  After that, I jogged until my knees hurt. Then I switched to bikes.”
“Bet you regret it all now.”
“Not a one game, not one step, not one bike ride,” I said.  I walked past him into the building.  After I called up a document on my laptop, I turned the magnification up to 130%.  My eyesight was slowly deteriorating.  I thought of all the good books I’d read, the kids’ soccer, basketball, and volleyball games, the track meets, and school plays I’d watched. How many times had I stared across a lake, squinting at the sun reflected off the water, sure I could hear fish laughing?  No regrets.
My dad called.  I could feel his pride as he told me about the grandchildren and great grandchildren. When I hung up, I said to my laptop, “Oh, the miles he’s put on his heart loving his family.”

Today I will put a few more miles on my heart.
Time for a Change ©2017 by Ken Montrose
Time for a Change is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com

No comments:

Post a Comment