Thursday, May 18, 2017

38. Cursed Blessings
Later that night I was sitting on the couch, reading an article on addiction treatment for high-functioning, wealthy people. 
Brat Boy, alarmed by the quiet, sat down, turned on the TV, called up a You Tube video on his laptop, and began a conversation with me.
“What are you reading, Dad?” he asked, flicking the spinner thing between his thumb and forefinger.
   I told him about the article.  “Having money is a blessing most of the time.  These folks use theirs to convince themselves they don’t have a problem.  When they do run into problems, money protects them from the consequences of their actions.
“But they’re still functioning, right?”
I said, “Another blessing – be able to function despite your problems.  Your grandmother worked while she was getting chemo. Said it kept her from losing her mind.  These folks can work through their addictions, but the drugs are slowly poisoning their minds.  Blessing into a curse.”
“Well I’m not an addict, so if you gave me $20, that would just be a blessing.  A blessing that would help me function better over the weekend.”
“If I gave you $20 for no reason it would be a miracle, not a blessing.”

Today I will remember a misused blessing becomes a curse.
Time for a Change ©2017 by Ken Montrose
Time for a Change is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com

No comments:

Post a Comment