Tuesday, May 30, 2017

45. Complacent Me Here
“You never rest, do you?” Morgan asked.
“I’m afraid to stop moving,” Quinn said.  “My daddy was Army.  He used to say ‘Complacent me here to help you fail.  Get it? Like complacent sent me, but you get rid of the second ‘sent.’  My old man had a thousand sayings, but that was his favorite.  He’d been everywhere, seen everything, Used to say ‘rest on your laurels long enough and you’ll discover they’re really poison ivy.’”
“He sounds like a lot of fun,” another new guy, Holton, said, dripping sarcasm.
“He truly was,” Quinn said.  “And he was never complacent about looking after people. His soldiers, his wife, his kids – we all knew he was figuring on ways to motivate us, make us better, happier, more productive.”
Today I will guard against complacency.
Time for a Change ©2017 by Ken Montrose
Time for a Change is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com

No comments:

Post a Comment