Monday, May 22, 2017

40. Wisdom from the Skate Park
The next day The Other Ken’s group shuffled in. A few of them said hello as they passed my office. The entire group seemed down.
I kept my door open to listen to the group check-in.  Jameston spoke first.  He’d contacted his ex-wife about seeing his son.  She told Jameston the boy had no recollection of him, and she’d like to keep it that way. He’d stayed sober, but said he’d never felt so empty in his whole life.
“I am difficult,” he said. “I am rigid, and always convinced I am right.” His voice cracked. “I am judgmental and I have a strong need to be in charge.” He stopped to compose himself and added, “I saw some kid in the skate park on the way over here.  It made me think the faster he hit the low point, the higher he rose on the other side.  I fell fast this week.  I think I’m more motivated than I’ve ever been to rise to the occasion, even if I’m depressed as hell.”

Today I’ll accept low points as motivators.

Time for a Change ©2017 by Ken Montrose
Time for a Change is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com

No comments:

Post a Comment