Wednesday, May 17, 2017

37. First Person First
Austin poked his head into my office, nodded to Morgan, and said, “I got a letter from my brother. He’s clean and sober and working on a farm in Canada.”
 “That is good news,” I said. “Funny he wrote a letter instead of texting you.”
Austin touched his scar and shrugged. “He says he’s been sober for three months. I’m thinking I should go up there and check on him.”
“You’re what, less than a month sober?” I asked.  “Why don’t take care of yourself first before you look after your brother.”
“That’s what everybody in group said.  First things first. Just feels a little selfish putting myself first when I’m the one who got him addicted.”
I didn’t think he was solely responsible for his brother’s addiction, but I let that remark pass. “First things first.  Sometimes you have to put yourself first, even if it feels a little selfish.”

Today I may put myself first.

Time for a Change ©2017 by Ken Montrose
Time for a Change is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com

No comments:

Post a Comment