Thursday, May 25, 2017

43. Alarmed
The group congratulated Austin on staying clean and sober.  He said, “I got another letter from my brother. He’s doing great. “
The Other Ken asked, “Did you ever find out why he’s writing letters instead of texting you?”
“I looked up the post office where his letter came from.  There’s nothing up there. Small Canadian town with a couple of stores.  I called the postmaster ‘cause there wasn’t much on the internet about it.  He said there was an old logging camp being fixed up by a group called the Church of Middaymorrow.  The pastor keeps everyone’s cell phones.  They all write letters. Said they seem nice.”
An alarm went off deep in my brain. I heard ‘church’ but thought ‘cult.’  I emailed The Other Ken, saying I’d look into the Church of Middaymorrow. “Probably nothing,” I said to my laptop, “but it’s never a good idea to ignore alarms.”
Today I won’t ignore life’s alarms.
Time for a Change ©2017 by Ken Montrose
Time for a Change is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com

No comments:

Post a Comment