Monday, May 29, 2017

44. Looking Up
Quinn was new to the group, and a sad story, but the only one smiling.
“Y’all walking out the swamp, just like me,” Quinn said. “Difference is, I don’t look down. Why would I? I know the muck. I was born to it, and I waded in deeper. I feel it tugging at me with every tired step I take. Don’t need to look at it. I look up.  I look up at the dry land, where I don’t have no charges hanging over me.  I look up at the mountain where I’m going to school, getting a job, getting married, livin’ like a person.  Y’all look down where you are now and be miserable.  I’m gonna keep walking, gonna look up, gonna be happy now.”
Today I will look up.
Time for a Change ©2017 by Ken Montrose
Time for a Change is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com

No comments:

Post a Comment