Tuesday, May 16, 2017

36. What Doesn’t Suck
While the group was taking a break, I called Morgan into my office to ask how she was doing.
She grabbed a cup of coffee from the kitchen and sat down in the chair closest to my desk.  For a minute I thought she was going to put her feet up.
She said, “Six months ago my husband left me to find himself in a tiny cabin in Warren, Pennsylvania.  Apparently my good friend from across the cul-de-sac found herself there too.  My six year old daughter wants to know why I chased her Daddy away.  Her fourteen year old brother wants to kill his father. Not healthy, but at least he’s on my side.  My headaches began right after my husband left. That’s when I started diverting medications from patients.  Not meds they needed mind you, stuff I was supposed to destroy, but didn’t.  Well, at first I didn’t take meds they needed.” She looked down and then out the window. “Now I’ll be tied up for the next three years trying to hold onto my nursing license.  My brother told me my car will never pass inspection, and I got my period this morning.  I’d say a lot of things suck in my life.”
Her expression changed. “Then why are you smiling?” I asked, smiling back at her.
“Because right now, this very moment, doesn’t suck. The coffee doesn’t suck. The view out your window doesn’t suck. I’d be grateful if you wouldn’t do or say anything to make me think you suck.”
I laughed. “I’ll try my best.”

Today I’ll be grateful for things that don’t suck.

Time for a Change ©2017 by Ken Montrose
Time for a Change is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com

No comments:

Post a Comment