Monday, April 22, 2019

Today's Message



Simple Explanation
I walked into the group room to get something from the
closet.  Todd, a forty-something who was court-
ordered to treatment, asked if I had seen the latest episode of “Game of
Thrones.” I told him I had.

“You know fire-breathing dragons really did exist,” he said.

“I don’t think so,” I said, thinking he was joking.

“It’s true. The glands that let them spit fire would rot
when they died.  The liquid in those
glands leaked out and dissolved their heads and necks.  The wings and torso were left.  The scientists who found them assumed they
were partial pterodactyl skeletons.”

‘Or they might just have been partial pterodactyl
skeletons,’ I thought.

Todd had three DUI convictions, and two arrests for drug
trafficking with one case pending. His third wife had just filed for divorce.
The simple explanation was he was a drug dealer who did stupid things when he
drank.

I wanted to argue with Todd, but I knew he couldn’t accept
simple explanations for his problems. 
Todd said his arrests and divorce involved a massive conspiracy between
his former boss, the police union, rival dealers, and the people who make shock
collars for dogs.  (He was convinced they
contained listening devices and thermal scanners.)  

Accepting the simple explanation would have saved Todd a lot
of grief. 

Today I’ll accept the simple explanation for my problems.

Dogged Determination ©2018 & 2019 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between
the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken
Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com
https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment