Thursday, April 11, 2019

Decisions, Decisions
It was 4:00 a.m. when I hung up the phone. I tried to go back to sleep, but my mind wasn’t having it. The AA meeting had been over at 9:00. We left the parking lot before 10:00.  Cara had called four hours later. What had she been doing, driving around drunk?

Roger and I had decided to call 911 to tell them Cara was driving drunk. It had been the right thing to do, but we had still felt bad about it.  I was grateful we had.  How much longer would she have been on the road if we hadn’t, I wondered?

There were many times in my life I’d made the wrong decision.  I thought about the series of poor choices that lead to my final drink, the night I crashed into the county sheriff.  The list was long and depressing. 

As I stumbled into the kitchen for a cup of coffee, I started listing the good decisions I’d made.  Brat Boy had taken apart something, probably something we were still using, and left electronic parts and tiny screws all over the kitchen table.  Blondie had brought her laundry home from college. From the size of the pile, I guessed she washed her clothes annually.

“Having kids was the right decision,” I said to the dog.  She didn’t seem convinced.

Today I’ll be grateful for making the right decision.

Dogged Determination ©2018 & 2019 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment