Friday, April 5, 2019

Unfriendly Friends
That’s when Cara drove up, rolling to a halt inches from Roger’s motorcycle.  She stumbled out of her car.  “Did I miss the meeting?” she asked. “Damn. Alright, I’ll catch you boys later.”

“Cara I will drive you anywhere you want to go, but if you get back in that car I have to call the police,” I said, praying she wouldn’t insist on driving. Knowing she probably would.

“Snitches get stitches,” she said.  Apparently, the ten hours she’d spent in jail had transformed her from rich suburban housewife to gangsta.

Roger rolled his eyes. “What prison gang did you join?” he asked Cara sarcastically. “Versace’s Vandals? Dior Devils? Give me your keys.”

“Next you’re going to say friends don’t let friends drive drunk. Well, friends don’t call the police on friends who have a warrant out for their arrest.” She seemed strangely proud to be wanted by the cops. Cara hopped in her car and backed away before we could stop her.

“I’ll call,” I said to Roger.  “She could kill someone.”

Today I may have to do something unfriendly to be a friend.

Dogged Determination ©2018 & 2019 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

No comments:

Post a Comment