Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Honey, Why is There a Concrete Moose in the Yard?
My phone rang at 3:00 a.m. My wife and children were home. Had something bad happened to my brother? One of my sisters? Nieces, nephews? A friend? I stared at the phone through two more rings, not recognizing the number on the screen.

I picked up. Cara had been spotted by the local police. When they tried to pull her over she drove straight to the station.

Apparently, she parked in the grass in front of the municipal center, jumped out of her car, and raced into the station to turn herself in before they could arrest her. 

“You know how to talk to these people,” she said. “Tell them I surrendered voluntarily, I should be allowed to leave. I will return voluntarily.”

Cara was a smart woman rendered clueless by alcohol and money. She believed she could blow up a million dollars in property, skip court, drive drunk to the station, and leave.  She reminded me of a guy I knew who bought a life-size concrete moose for his front yard because he was drunk and it was payday.

“I’ll do what I can,” I said, too tired to argue. ‘All I can do is learn from my clueless friends,’ I thought.   
Today I will be grateful for clueless people.

Dogged Determination ©2018 & 2019 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment