Thursday, April 25, 2019


Not My Kid
The next day Blondie drove home to switch cars so I could get hers inspected.  I found it in the glove box when I went fishing for her insurance card and registration. My heart sank.

“What is this?” I said, throwing it on the kitchen table.

“Daddy, I was in high school,” Blondie said, not looking me in the eye.

“You exposed your brother to this?” I asked.  Blondie and Brat Boy had ridden to school together her senior year. “He was fourteen years old, his brain still forming.” I shook my head. “What if he had gotten hooked on this stuff?”

Silence.

I picked up her phone, and bought Led Zeppelin’s Physical Graffiti from iTunes. “Listen to the whole thing. Twice. Consider this your detox.”

I stared at the Justin Bieber CD on the kitchen table. You never think it’s going to be your kid.  After Blondie escaped to her room, I said to the dog, “People recover from almost anything,” A wave of gratitude washed over me.

Today I’ll be grateful people can recover from almost anything.

Dogged Determination ©2018 & 2019 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment