Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Fault Lines
“Well you better do something,” Cara said. “You’re partly responsible for me being here.” She hung up the phone.  Until that moment I had felt sorry for my friend.

Her sense of entitlement was astounding. She had dug herself a deep hole.  Now Cara expected me to make phone calls, pull strings, and get her out.

I wanted to call the jail to make sure they did a thorough cavity search. ‘She’s always got a stamp bag hidden somewhere,’ I’d say. ‘By the way, she’s allergic to just about everything.  Better put her on a really bland diet.’

Instead, I called Cara’s husband. I was surprised he was more sad than angry. He told me how he loved the fun side of Cara, the way she cared for animals, and how she got a kick out of life. He hoped he could get the charges dropped, at least the most serious ones.

“Cara blew up your car,” I reminded him.

“Cara and I can get past this,” he said. He was a man deeply in love with his wife despite all her faults.  It got me to thinking of the people loved me despite my faults.

Today I’ll be grateful for people who love me despite my faults.

Dogged Determination ©2018 & 2019 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment