Thursday, April 4, 2019

Charge
“Have any interest in going to the Pirate game tomorrow?” Roger asked when he saw me in the parking lot. Even in his thug days Roger had been a big baseball fan.

“None whatsoever,” I said.

“Might be a nice day.  This year the concession stands have kielbasa and pierogis in a waffle cone. With or without chicken gravy.”

“As appetizing as that sounds, sitting in a cramped seat for hours while people all around me guzzle beer doesn’t appeal to me.”

“What are you going to do instead? Sit home and watch TV?” he asked.

“Blondie will be home so we’ll all go out to breakfast.  I’ll do yard work until it gets hot.  Then I’ll ride my bike for a couple hours.  In the evening Dr. Deb and I will put on a movie and fall asleep on the couch.”

“Not very exciting,” Roger said, shaking his head.  “You been looking kinda down lately. A little excitement, some crowd noise, might recharge your batteries.”

Baseball recharged Roger batteries.  For me, not so much.

“Family time recharges my batteries,” I said.  “I’m more likely to jumpstart a car with a triple-A battery than I am to get excited by baseball.”

Today I will recharge my batteries in whatever way works for me.

Dogged Determination ©2018 & 2019 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment