Monday, September 30, 2019


Lucky Me
The next day was a fall Saturday. We’d slept with the windows open and the air was crisp. The covers formed a warm cocoon.  

A low woof. Maybe the dog’s just clearing her throat, I thought.

A bark. Maybe I’m dreaming. I looked at the clock 3:52 a.m. I shut my eyes tight.

Another, louder bark.  Dr. Deb didn’t stir. I peered over her shoulder to see if her eyes were open.

A whining sound. Was this animal really descended from wolves? Wolves don’t whine.  Brat Boy was home and his bedroom door was open. How could he not hear this?

Over the years I’d learned that while everybody loved the dogs, nobody but me could hear them bark to be let out.

Annoyed, I got out of bed.  

As the dog walked back and forth looking for the ideal spot to kill the grass, I tried to put things in perspective. People were waking up in jail. People were lying awake, wondering how they’d make it through the day. People were tethered to machines in hospitals. Some wouldn’t wake up.

I was lucky.

Today I’ll wake up to how lucky I’ve been.

Dogged Determination ©2018 & 2019 by Ken Montrose
Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment