Thursday, September 12, 2019


Imagine That
The next time I saw Sam I asked him about Pam and the Dean. He looked embarrassed.

“He wasn’t sleeping with Pam,” Sam said. “The Dean was recruiting her for the Office of Student Affairs. She’s now in charge of student discipline.  God help the kids.”

“You made yourself miserable over something you only imagined happening, something that wasn’t your concern anymore.”

“Well, when you put it that way…”

I smiled. “Listen, you’re not the only one tortured by his imagination.  Trevor won’t go to the doctor because he imagines himself dying a horrible death due to medical error.  Never ask him why he won’t get a colonoscopy.”

Sam laughed. I went on.

“Billie fears she’ll be the one making the medical error.  Roger thinks every call on his landline might be a sheriff calling about a twenty-year-old arrest warrant. He doesn’t have to imagine what prison is like.”

“Our imaginations can torture us if we let them,” Sam said.  I didn’t tell him that I hated flying because I imagined myself feeling trapped, panicking, and tearing open the emergency exit door at 35,000 feet to escape.

Today I won’t let my imagination run wild.

Dogged Determination ©2018 & 2019 by Ken Montrose
Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment