Thursday, September 26, 2019


Patience
Two days later The Youngstown Kid picked me up to plant signs for Roger. He drove because people said he was the safest driver they knew. As I got into his vintage Mustang, he explained why car buffs thought that particular model year was the best Ford every made.

As he rambled on and on, I found myself being less and less annoyed. I put myself in his narcissistic shoes for a moment. Pity washed over me as I imagined what it would be like to be The Kid.  I was sure people avoided him, I’d seen them do it. I avoided him when I could. 

The Youngstown Kid believed he was special in many ways. Yet, he lived a very ordinary life. I wondered if he saw the world as aligned against him, threatened by his imagined greatness, holding him back.  How frustrating that would be.

Understanding The Kid didn’t make being around him any easier.  It did make me a little more patient, knowing he had his own cross to bear. 

Today I’ll try to be a little more patient with people.

Dogged Determination ©2018 & 2019 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment